Sunday, May 6, 2012

How Cool It Is

Last night I was able to have a great discussion with a 17 year old who babysits my children.  A storm was doing its best at making a statement over our area, so as parents my husband and I suggested she let the storm blow over before making the trek home.  She agreed. 

Her and I made ourselves comfortable on the sofa and struck up a conversation.  I wanted to know a little more about her and her faith.  I was amazed at the strength and determination this young adult held.  I was also encouraged.  I have three little ones that are not even close to high school age, but one day too soon.  They will most likely face challenges at an earlier age than I did.  I can get so fearful just at the thought of it.  My "mama bear" instinct wants to protect them and shelter them from the "meanies" out there.  But didn't Jesus say something about being the light of the world?  Oh yes, he challenged all believers to let their light shine.  Well, there goes the cave I was scoping out to relocate my family! 

My discussion with this teen, who has a strong determination to seek her Maker's will, left me with  hope.  I pray for my children constantly and I know God hears my prayers.  I know that their faith right now at this young age is my husband and I.  It's our responsibility to teach them and show them what faith in Jesus is all about.  And since God's word never returns void, I know that one day my children will walk in their own faith, experiencing their own unique relationship with their Maker.  As our babysitter put it, "It is not easy being under a watchful eye by many unbelievers."  I agree.  It is not easy and it will not get easier the older we get.  But....it does get way cooler. 

I think I read this from one of Karen Kingsbury's books:  The bigger the mountain, the better the view on the other side. I also think of it this way:  The harder the mountain is to climb, the better the rewards will be once we have reached the top. 

My prayer to all the children and teenagers who strive to do what is right in the face of all that is wrong: ' May you be strengthened with His glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need'.  (Colossians 1:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment